Thursday 11 November 2010

POSTMODERNISM


Recently we worked on Postmodernism used in films, tv programmes and music videos. Postmodernism is a concept which has currently become popular, used as a way of describing & grouping styles of thought and culture. Most postmodern texts play with meaning and exhibit intertextuality (referencing to other texts that might be recognised by the target audience). They present a whole range of readings that can be interpreted by a diverse audience however the audience perceives the text - for example a children's film such as Toy Story 3 appeals to children for its funny characters and bright colours exhibited in the pictures below..
..however, the humour used is ultimately aimed at an older audience - maybe to attract the parents who take their children to watch the film - as exhibited in this preview from when "Barbie meets Ken". This interaction between the two characters shows stereotypical 'corny' romance which Disney is known best for, but pokes fun at the way these two famous doll icons were "made for each other". By using the humour to connect with an older audience, this makes the film appealing to a diverse audience and not just children for which it at first appears to be intended.
 Many sophisticated visual puns, as used in advertising, can be described as postmodern. This Burger King advert uses sexual connotations to appeal to an older audience - probably a more masculine dominated audience that would find these sexual connotations amusing with the references of this burger being a "super seven incher".
Postmodern texts also use referential techniques such as bricolage, using images or ideas that are entirely juxtaposed to their original function - such as the Stomp dance troupe which use every day items to create music.

With Postmodernism in mind, part of my task is to incorporate Postmodern references within my music video.
My Postmodern references come from the research I have done, looking into other music videos of similar and different genres and also from films I have seen that I think interlink well with my choice of audience.
Firstly I have chosen to link my music video with that of Telephone by Lady Gaga, previously analysed in my research. I liked the clever use of jump shots and transitions in her video which added to the narrative of the song. Within my storyboard on number 1 I have used a jump shot in shots 2 + 3 where my character sits up quickly in bed.

I will also use this same effect for the 'electric shocks' to exaggerate the reaction of the robot girl. I am aiming for my video to have comic book elements as I feel this relates well to my choice of target audience -teenagers aged 16-19. I have gained this impression of my target audience from my questionnaire after mentions that I should include humour and cliche's in my video. This lead me to the film Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, a recently released film based on a Canadian comic book about a 23 year old slacker who falls in love with the girl of his dreams. 

He then has to battle off her league of evil ex-boyfriends to win her heart. This cliched story line grabbed my attention and having seen the film it references a lot to the comic book it derives from; for example the use of comic fonts and onomatopoeia to exaggerate the action in this action-comedy.
   
This also goes alongside my analysis of The Hoosier's video Goodbye Mr A which also is set to look like a comic book and pokes fun at well known comic book heroes with the references within the music video.
Within my video I plan to use similar onomatopoeia such as in the first sequence from number 1 of my storyboard, where she yawns on the bed I might use a large font such as the one used above, but saying YAWN! and during the sequence shot outside with people going past her on the street I will use hearts to show the viewer the robot girl's reaction when she notices the boy watching her in the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment