Thursday 2 December 2010

2

How effective is the combination of the main product and ancillary texts?

 Genre:I have maintained focus on the Indie genre I have chosen. Within the music video, CD cover and advert I have used iconography  in the form of props and mise en scene (sparklers that represent electric shocks and a robot box head) that represents the name of the band and semantically links with the lyrics of the song.


I have tried to use quite dark, edgy and exciting colours on the CD cover and the magazine advert as these stand out to the audience as they instantly grab their attention. I think the images of the sparklers also denote danger and risk, which can be linked with the excitement of being a teenager - getting into trouble and trying to be as daring as possible. This use of adhered conventions is intended to link with my target audience and make them impulsed to buy the CD with the knowledge it is intended for them.

Institution:

Robot Disaster fit into the Indie genre and therefore an independant company such as Domino Records would be appropriate for the band. I chose this specific recording company as this particular label signed up the Artctic Monkeys in 2005.
The Arctic Monkeys are one of the band's main inspirations and their recording label suits Robot Disaster perfectly as they are of the same genre of music. This particular label is also a London based company and as Robot Disaster are based in the UK this also makes the company appropriate to them.
Representation:


In the music video I have tried to represent  both genders, as the band is all male I felt it would be quite controverse to focus solely on a female character but I have given her a dominant role, and we see her with a metal chain necklace - semantically linking with the stereotype of a "knight in shining armour" and also the metal of a robot - and mainly in leggings and black boots which show her style as very masculine orientated.
My male character is shown only at the very end of the music video but his significance is that he is the one who accepts my robot character for who she is - compared to her female classmates who mock her (stereotyping the popular gossips represented in most high school/college based films/music videos).
I chose these actors also for their ages, 17 years old as this is within my target audience age band. I have chosen a plotline which features a heterosexual relationship as this is something which can be identified and empathised with by my target audience.
The main person I have tried to represent is someone who feels lonely and unaccepted and I have challenged this role by giving them someone who does accept them - the boy from my music video.
Within my ancillary texts I have tried to display the same representation especially with the image of the robot girl which I used on my magazine advert, in which I aimed to link the advert with the music video. The image I chose of her looking up shows her not in a voyeuristic manner, but as quite innocent and as if she is daydreaming.

I think altogether the products I have created work well together as I have maintained synergy between the main product and ancillary texts and I have made obvious connections and connotations that can be read by my target audience easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment